When it comes to taking care of your body, you may not realize that it’s important to see doctors that specialize in certain areas of the body. You may not know exactly what a gastroenterologist is or what they can do for you, so it’s important to know some of the frequently asked questions about gastroenterologists and gastroenterology.
Frequently Asked Questions for Your Gastroenterologist
What is a Gastroenterologist?
A gastroenterologist is a doctor that has trained to specialize in caring for your gastrointestinal tract. They can help to diagnose and treat problems that may stand in the way of your body being able to digest food and properly get rid of waste.
What Tests can a Gastroenterologist Perform?
When it comes to taking care of your gastrointestinal tract, there are many different tests your doctor can perform to diagnose problems in your system. Some of the common tests your gastroenterologist may perform include:
- Colonoscopy- This helps to check the rectum, colon, and intestinal tract.
- Upper GI Endoscopy- This checks the esophagus and upper gastro system.
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy- This is similar to a colonoscopy but only checks a portion of the colon.
- Endoscopic or Abdominal Ultrasound
- CT Enterography
What Treatments Can a Gastroenterologist Perform?
Your gastroenterologist is able to perform specialty treatments that can help with all of your gastrointestinal needs. Some common forms of treatments are:
- Polyp removal
- Esophageal, colonic, or bile duct stent placement
- Certain surgical procedures, such as appendectomy, gastric bypass surgery, or colostomy.
These different procedures are designed to meet all of your gastroenterology needs and keep your system healthy and working properly.